Community Pool Grant Ideas

To avoid confusion, Will already started a thread here about the community pool, but it seems to be going in the direction of a more general discussion about what the pool should fund i.e. which criteria that should guide the selection of projects. This thread is for specific ideas/projects of what the pool might fund. I have just started out with a couple of Community Pool Proposals (CPPs?) below that are quite specific. Still rough concepts, but hope it can foster some ideation and further develop a good format for proposals.

CPP #1 - Songbird biodiversity ecocredit
Description: Detection of bird species based on audio and minting of biodiversity ecocredits.
Expected outcome: Possibility to mint ecocredits in projects where songbird biodiversity increase is valued. Could be shade grown coffee. I know there are specific bird-friendly coffee certifications.
Implementation type: Created by Allowlist Credit Designer

CPP #2 - Automated Staking Reward Redirection
Description: Inspired by this tweet, this idea revolved around automatically redirection staking rewards to a specific wallet. Think of it as a patreon subscription where you pick a wallet of someone you want to support and send staking rewards from staked assets from one or several specific validators (Should be possible before they are claimed, yes?).
Expected outcome: Easy to setup recurring donations to specific creator wallets.
Implementation type: Chain upgrade

CPP #3 - Community outreach and onboarding in DAO
Description: Based on critical biodiversity hotspots around the world (several datasets already exist on this), reach out to local communities in these hotspots to actively engage with them to onboard and set up local DAOs for managing local ecocredit minting and DAO creation.
Expected outcome: Better inclusion of people who might have difficulty setting up DAO and participating in the network by themselves. +Growing the community.
Implementation type: Probably none. More a coordination thing.

CPP #4 - Indigenous land occupation ecocredit minting penalty/allocation
Description: A bit similar to how it’s becoming possible to detect deforestation in palmoil industry, this though instead looks at land that ecocredits are being issued on and if it’s been grabbed from indigenous peoples, there is an allocation of some of the minted ecocredits to those indigenous peoples. One could also implement a total ban on minting credits on occupied land, but might not be best for neither indigenous community nor environment. Probably a lot of challenges with how to manage this in practice.
Expected outcome: Less incentive to use occupied land / Compensate rightful owners of land, at least to some degree.
Implementation type: Chain upgrade. Might need additional parameters in the ecocredit module.

5 Likes

LOVE IT! At the Foundation we’re working on an incubation process to guide and support such groups, as well as others who might be good at the tech side of things, but need to grow in other areas (such as community governance or ecological impact). We are also dreaming up a fellowship for “digital intermediaries” (youth from the community who can facilitate collective participation in Regen-type activities (DAO formation, operation, etc).

I would LOVE to work with anyone in the community on piloting this anywhere. So far, ideas I have around this are:

• Ecocredit GAME. In which a group can experience the process of imagining and launching a type of credit, get it approved, and start exchanging it. I am imagining it would need to be on a sort of testnet, so that people can make mistakes safely. It would need to be playable on simple hardware (avoiding the “fancy phone” bottleneck) and in many languages. Aim = to give a feel what it’s like to work with ecocredits on a ledger and use them in the real world. Similar to Cambiatus.

• Regen IN A BOX. A set of training materials that field workers can take along when meeting remote communities (eg: as part of an agri/wildlife/health/rights gathering). These can include locally contextualised posters, animation, video. There would be a shared pool of exercises shared among field workers (similar to Digital Green) which will evolve with user feedback.

• Peer Learning. Both for the “digital intermediaries” (please suggest a better name!) and the communities themselves. These are semi-structured fora where users share where they are stuck and support each other to get unstuck, tapping into collective experience, contacts and knowledge. I have ran these for 7 years for change agents in South India and they work very well (at least when they are in-person! I don’t have experience with digital versions)

There’s plenty more. Just starting with these to see if aynone wants to collaborate :slight_smile:

THANKS!

2 Likes

love it.

CPP #2: I think the automated staking reward distribution function could be amazing. In the meantime I’d be happy to donate regen staking rewards manually and think a curated list of projects and contributors could be useful for individuals and perhaps also to the community pool.

re: the idea of automating this process, @corlock do you have any ideas on how large an engineering task that would be?

Re: CPP#1: I love this one and know there are some community members working slowly towards this sort of vision. @kbirchard has a project for audio sensors linking back to eco-credit verification (perhaps you could share a bit about that Kyle?). I have also been chatting with a friend who wants to reach out to the Audobon society about their bird friendly product certification in relationship to this idea. I could see this linking beautifully with an NFT system for rare bird lists, and direct funding for habitat maintenance.

With CPP#3 are you thinking that perhaps there could be support of groups outside Regen Foundation engaging a bit to explore ways to support communities to move into EnDAOment process?

Thanks for kicking off the convo @kristoffer!

Yes. I think youth is going to be key to scaling. Many 30+ in community atm. I think, for obvious reasons (Have capacity and resources to build). But gen z gonna be web3 native and really key to work with this age group. Might have “youth advocate” program, maybe supported by student program (25-30age-ish) that might have more technical insight, either digital or ecological. I think many natural resource students would love to somehow participate as well.

Really like the idea of a sandbox/testnet/demo environment. What would the main expected outcome be? Actual ecocredit proposals or educational for “digital intermediaries” as you mention above?

What did you have in mind for main purpose of this one: social/indigenous inclusion (tools for facilitating this), education on data acquisition methodologies, DAO setup and/or education on more practical regenerative methodologies?

“Regen advocates”, “seed bearers”, “digital stewards”. Suspect it depends on the exact role they are doing in the wider ecosystem. I think it’s good to define different roles and types of participation to best determine the most suited program/process to build local and regional capacity. So many possibilities, so probably best to align to some extend with what is already being built. As an example, since grassland carbon credits are already running smooth soon, enabling actors in this field might be good. Lot’s of temperate grassland in Euroasia. A good wait into this might be youth/students in eastern europe who are also crypto-natives and speak russian or other languages in euro-asia. As I understand most important aspect for grassland credit is baseline soil data, so this is what should be the main focus of outreach. I’m not sure to which extend RND already doing this themselves, but this seems like low-hanging fruits.

I think, one specific thing I will do is to send any student I meet towards the community to start to build this capacity.

Yes. Already did a MVP on this here: Curated list of contributors and how to set up contributor profile

Sounds cool. Had a specific request for this a while back. Didn’t have capacity to build then, but might just check up to see if there might still be an interest and get a budget for this.

Yes. The foundation joe brewer is working on comes to mind. They already have their own fund that support their projects. Could be building a DAO on top of this to manage watershed. Maybe a new DAO is not needed. I’m interested in the multiverse of DAOs though and how they can interface with more analogue governance models. Maybe they just spin up a wallet and hit go XD Do you know of any overview of how and where enDAOment makes most sense, especially in a more decentralized post-nation state society?

1 Like

CPP #3
I have a location and snowball of an idea for one of these in Steamboat Colorado that should include the indigenous UTE in NFT real estate transactions. Development is ruining wildlife corridors and REGEN Grant could secure a neat venue for community outreach and a large swath of grasslands for credit creation. Approxiamtely 180 acres placed in conservation easements and entrusted to displaced disadvantaged peoples.

1 Like

320 acres
$7.5 million
Utes back to Elk Mountain
Lodge for timeshare ownership

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/44125-County-Road-46b-Steamboat-Springs-CO-80487/221064226_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/43593-County-Road-46-Steamboat-Springs-CO-80487/2069115619_zpid/

1 Like